MIDDLEBURY, Ind. – Jayco, Inc. has announced the initial results from its industry-leading EcoAdvantage sustainability program - the company’s long-term commitment to environmentally sensitive use of resources. Through this company-wide sustainability initiative, Jayco, Inc. and its three operating divisions – Jayco, Starcraft RV and Entegra Coach - are creating better ways to build better RVs using fewer or renewable natural resources.
The program, called EcoAdvantage, is a collaborative effort launched in 2011 among Jayco employees and suppliers, and it has produced measurable results that show a little initiative can go a long way. Here is the impact Jayco made in 2011. Jayco conserved:
- Enough electricity to power 980 homes in a year
- Enough landfill space to accommodate the disposal needs of a community of 31,330 Americans for a year
- Enough water to fill 111,020 kiddie pools
- And enough gas to make 21.4 trips around the earth in a car
Additionally, through aggressive recycling efforts, Jayco saved 41,217 trees.
And while Jayco is proud of the program’s immediate success, the 44-year-old company is even more excited by the initiative’s long-term prospects. Committed to a very ambitious list of sustainable goals over the next five years, Jayco recognizes its commitment is a journey. Among its many goals, Jayco has pledged to:
- Be 100% landfill free by the year 2015 by eliminating or recycling all manufacturing and office waste
- Significantly reduce fresh water use in product testing and other processes around the complex by increasing use of reclaimed rainwater
- Conserve energy with a 40-percent reduction of utility use by 2014
- Improve overall efficiency by streamlining administrative paperwork, production processes and construction methods
- Remain the sustainability leader within the RV industry
Wilbur Bontrager, Jayco Board Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, gives the goals important context.
“At Jayco, sustainability means meeting our current manufacturing and resource needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs,” he said. “We build products that allow our customers to enjoy the outdoors, so it only makes sense that we should strive to be a good corporate citizen and a good steward of the environment.”
About Jayco Corporation
Jayco is the largest privately held manufacturer of recreation vehicles in the world. The company manufactures and markets towable and motorized RVs through its Jayco, Starcraft and Entegra Coach divisions. For more information about Jayco or its products, call 1-800-RV-JAYCO, or write Jayco, Inc., PO Box 460, Middlebury, IN 46540.