MIDDLEBURY, Ind. – To celebrate Earth Day, Jayco, Inc. and its three operating divisions - Jayco, Starcraft and Entegra Coach - are announcing results from their industry-leading EcoAdvantage program. Jayco is seeing a powerful impact after just two years of committing to the EcoAdvantage program, a company-wide initiative in which Jayco outlined a number of ways to build better RVs using fewer natural resources.
Through combined efforts between employees, suppliers and community partners, Jayco, Inc. recycled 2,191 tons of scrap metal, 1,118 tons of cardboard and paper and 6,566 tons of wood in 2012. Those 2012 efforts helped Jayco, Inc. conserve:
- Enough gas for Americans to drive more than 750,400 miles
- Enough electricity to power 1,518 homes for a year
- Enough landfill airspace to accommodate 40,061 people
- And enough water to meet the daily fresh water needs of 104,360 Americans
- Through these aggressive efforts, Jayco also saved 52,496 mature trees.
Additionally, Jayco met one of its longterm goals. The company, which set out to consume 40 percent less energy by 2014, completed its goal in 2012, resulting in the total reduction of 12,450,269 kilowatt-hours of energy since the initiative’s launch.
Jayco continues to work toward:
- Being 100% landfill free by the year 2015
- Reducing fresh water use in product testing and other processes
- Promoting local and national green efforts
- And producing lighter, more efficient RVs.
On the horizon, Jayco will partner with the Middlebury Community School Corp. to help start and maintain a recycling program in the fall of 2013. Additionally, the company will implement a rainwater capture plan for its Middlebury complex this year.
“At Jayco, we recognize that we’re in a unique position,” said Sid Johnson, Jayco’s Director of Marketing. “We build products that allow our customers to enjoy the great outdoors. This heightens our awareness that we need to be accountable and take initiative in protecting our planet.”