MIDDLEBURY, IN. – With one year left in the EcoAdvantage sustainability program, Jayco Inc. is making strides in meeting its aggressive company-wide goals. To help promote Earth Day, the RV manufacturer is announcing its 2013 results from the EcoAdvantage program, which outlines a number of ways to build better RVs using fewer or renewable natural resources.
Through combined efforts between employees, suppliers and community partners, Jayco Inc.’s three operating divisions — Jayco, Starcraft and Entegra Coach — recycled 1,284 tons of wood, 13,221 tons of scrap metal and 1,801 tons of cardboard and paper in 2013. These efforts helped Jayco, Inc. conserve:
- Enough gas for Americans to drive more than 1,209,600 miles
- Enough electricity to power 6,689 homes for a year
- And enough water to meet the daily fresh water needs of 168,093 Americans
- Through these aggressive efforts, Jayco also saved 37,169 mature trees
Since the program’s launch in 2011, Jayco has met or is close to meeting a number of long-term goals:
- Several production facilities and assembly departments within Jayco Inc. are
98 percent landfill free. Jayco aspires to be 100 percent landfill free by 2015.
- The company completed its energy-efficient goal in 2012 — two years early — a 40 percent energy reduction that preserved 67,300,143 kilowatt-hours of energy since the initiative’s launch.
- In the fall of 2013, Jayco began partnering with the Middlebury Community School Corporation to maintain a recycling program. Creating awareness about sustainable efforts has been a key goal of the Jayco EcoAdvantage program.
- Jayco continues to produce lighter, more efficient RVs, introducing the lightweight Jay Feather SLX and the economical Eagle Touring Edition in 2014. On its motorhomes, Jayco added the select model JRide Ride and Handling Package that delivers an enhanced, smooth ride for better gas economy.
Wilbur Bontrager, Jayco Chairman of the Board, said, “We began this program several years ago to protect the environment where families use our products. It only makes sense that we should strive to be good stewards of the environment,” he said. “We are committed to meeting our goals and continuing the EcoAdvantage program so that families can continue to enjoy the great outdoors for generations to come.”
Details on goals and completion can be found at http://ecoadvantage.jayco.com.
About Jayco Inc.:
Jayco, Inc., is the largest privately held manufacturer of recreation vehicles in the world. The company manufactures and markets towable and motorized RVs through its Jayco, Starcraft and Entegra Coach divisions. For more information about Jayco or its products, call 1-800-RV-JAYCO, or write Jayco, Inc., PO Box 460, Middlebury, IN 46540.